I made this Star Wars Angry Birds cake in 2015 for a joint birthday celebration of 3 sibling boys. The mother wanted to celebrate all their birthdays together and requested that I make a cake with all the boys' names on it.
And off course, the theme for the cake had to be one that was favored by all three of them. And Star Wars Angry Birds was their choice.
Angry Birds Birthday Cake
The cake, though looks like a lot was going on on it, was not complicated or difficult to make. It was a 2 tier cake. And the Death Star topper is a Styrofoam dummy. Using a dummy made it a lot easier for me as supporting a round shaped cake requires more work. And the 2 Angry Birds characters, i.e. Lard Vader and Red Skywalker were made out of fondant.
How to Make Angry Birds Cake
Main supplies for the cake:
- Cake – this was a 2 tier cake with the top one measuring 6 inches in diameter and the bottom one measuring 9 inches in diameter. Each was approximately 4 inches high. The top tier was a butter pound cake while the bottom was a chocolate cake. Both recipes are available here.
- Sphere styrofaom ball – this was for the Death Star character on the cake. I purchased the foam from a local craft shop.
- Buttercream – Each cake tier made up of two layers of cake sandwiched with buttercream. I also used buttercream to crumb coat the whole cake (click here for my buttercream recipe).
- Fondant – I used Satin Ice to cover the cakes as well as to make the Angry Birds figurines (I added CMC powder when making the figurines so that they hold the shape and set hard).
- Food coloring – I used both Wilton and Americolor colors for the cake.
- Edible image print of Angry Birds Star Wars logo – I ordered this from a local supplier who accepts custom edible image printing.
- Brown Satin ribbon – this was for the cake board.
- Alphabet cutters – I used these cutters for the birthday boys’ names on the cake.
- Fondant glue - I used this glue to attach the 3D names on the cake so that they remain secured in an upright position and not fall off the cake.
Assembling the Star Wars Angry Birds cake:
Lard Vader and Red Skywalker Angry Birds figurines
- I made the Lard Vader and Red Skywalker figurines a few days in advance.
Lard Vader from Angry Birds
Red Skywalker from Angry Birds
Death Star cake topper
- I also prepared Death Star (made of styrofoam dummy) and the birthday boys' names ahead of time. For Death Star, I covered it first with light grey fondant, followed by dark grey cut-outs. The ears were in dark grey too. And I attached them to the rest of the sphere with fondant glue.
Death Star topper in styrofoam for the Angry Birds cake
- Closer to the delivery day, I baked the cakes, crumb coated each tier with buttercream and covered them in dark blue. I used Americolor Navy Blue and a hint of black to get the dark shade of blue. I then stacked the cakes using bubble tea straws for support.
The Star Wars Angry Birds logo
- Next, I attached the Angry Birds Star Wars logo in edible image on the cake. To attach, I simply brushed some warm water on the image and smoothed it on the side of the bottom layer cake.
The exact logo I used on the Angry Birds cake
Metal plates decoration
- Once the logo was up, I did the metal wall/plates. I cut them out in grey (white fondant tinted lightly in black) and attached each piece to the cake with shortening. Next, I used the pointed end of my skewer to poke random holes at the corners of each rectangle piece.
- I then covered the cake board with brown fondant and attached a matching brown satin ribbon around it.
- After that, using a narrow tipped brush dipped in white food color, I created the white speckles on the cake. These were random dots and although all were very tiny dots, they do vary slightly in sizes. These, against the dark blue background, created an outer space look and feel on the cake.
Names on the Angry Birds cake
- The next deco that went on the cake was the boys' names. I made sure they well all uniformly centered and glued them to the cake.
- And finally, I attached Lard Vader and Red Skywalker figurines. I used fondant glue so that the figurines remained well attached to the cake.
An Angry Birds cake in Star Wars theme with Death Star as the topper
And that's that. My Star Wars Angry Birds cake decorating guide.
Hope you find this tutorial helpful.
Thank you for reading and happy decorating 🙂