I made this ball cake with bear toppers for my niece’s birthday. This was quite a few years ago and so cannot quite recall what year it was nor which birthday of hers it was but it was either her 3rd or 4th birthday.
When I asked her what cake she would like for her birthday, this was exactly what she wanted:
“Teddy bears on a football”.
This is what happens when you ask a child of her age for the type of cake she wants. She really stretched her imagination and in doing that, definitely stretched my decorating skills for I have never made a round ball cake before nor did I have any special molds for the 3d ball cake.
The trickiest part of the cake was the ball. After putting some thoughts into it, I set on making the cake.
How to Make a Ball Cake with Bear Toppers
These were the main supplies used for the ball cake:
- 2 cakes baked in bowl molds (or a cake baked in a novelty ball cake mold)
- Black and white butter icing
- A cake board ( must be of the same diameter as the cakes)
- Fondant in 2 shades of brown and black (for the teddy bears)
And here is how I decorated the cake:
- Firstly, I placed the first half ball on a plate. I then inserted 4 dowel rods almost to the centre of the cake (the dowel rods should be of same height, which is the height of the cake).
- Next I covered a thin layer of icing on the cake and placed a foil wrapped cake board on the cake. I then covered another thin layer of icing, this time on the cake board. The purpose is to make sure the cakes stick to the board and do not fall off.
- Once that is done, I took the second half of the ball and placed it on the cake board.
- Next, I covered the whole cake with white butter icing and smoothed it well. I then decorated it with black hexagons, also in butter icing.
- Once the cake is done, I placed 4 fondant teddy bears on top of the cake and secured them in place with toothpicks inserted at the bottom of each teddy bear to the top of the cake.
- The fondant teddy bears are fairly simple to make. Shape each part of the teddy bear separately and attach them together with a damp brush. I used black fondant for the eyes and nose of the bear.
And this was how I made this ball cake with bear toppers for my niece!