Looking for easy chocolate cake decoration ideas? Here is a super easy decorating idea I used for my chocolate cake last weekend and the whole process took me less than 15 minutes with results that was absolutely pleasing to the eyes!
Simple Chocolate Cake Decoration
Easy Chocolate Cake Decoration Idea
Here are the supplies you need for this project:
- Chocolate cake – I baked the cake using my chocolate cake recipe). The cake measured 5 inches in diameter and approximately 6 inches tall. The recipe was calculated for 5 eggs (half the recipe for 9 inches round cake tin) and I baked it in 5 inch round cake tins. The batter was enough for 4 layers of cake, but I only used 3 for this project.
- Chocolate icing – The quantity was exactly as mentioned in the recipe here and it was just nice for the cake. The filling in between each cake layer was pretty thin, and that is simply because we all like it that way, but if you want more, it’s best to increase the quantity. This recipe uses dark chocolate and the higher the quality of the chocolate used, the richer this frosting is.
- Royal icing – I used royal icing for the flowers on the cake (the ones in blue and white). It is perfectly fine to use buttercream flowers too. They would work just fine. I have a separate page written on how to pipe these simple flowers in buttercream and so will not be talking about how to make them here. Please click here to read on how to pipe these flowers.
- Buttercream – I used buttercream for the leaves. Again, I had some remaining green buttercream from my other cake project, so the choice of using royal icing for the flowers and buttercream for the leaves was purely a matter of convenience for me.
And here is how you assemble this easy chocolate cake decoration:
- Started with the basics – level your the cakes. I had 3 layers of cake for this project.
- Next is the filling. I filled each layer with a thin layer of the chocolate icing and stacked the cakes. You can increase the filling if you like. Just remember to make sure the cakes are all stacked upright in as straight a line as possible.
- Once the cakes are all stacked, cover the rest of the cake with the remaining frosting. I started with the sides and then the top. At this stage, the frosting need not be smooth, suffice if it is evenly coated.
- And then, using the back of a teaspoon, create a small dent on the cake. To do this, press the back of the spoon lightly into the icing (not too hard as we don’t want to scrap it off the cake) and then scoop it upwards, moving the spoon away from the cake.
- Here is how the first scoop looked like on my cake.
- Continue with the rest of the cake until the whole cake is filled with ‘dents’ and ‘spikes’. Once you get the hang of it, this should be quite fast.
- Once that is done, your cake is pretty much done. Next is the deco. I decorated my cake with the rflowers. I placed the flowers on the cake where I wanted them to be. And finished off with some buttercream leaves. You can use any other flowers you like.
- And that’s was it, one of my easy chocolate cake decoration ideas.
Easy chocolate cake decoration
Hope you enjoyed this easy chocolate cake decoration idea.
Happy cake decorating!