In this cupcakes lace decorating tutorial, I will be sharing a simple cupcake decorating idea using the lace piping technique. There are no special tools required for this technique other than some royal icing, a simple round piping tip and your piping skills.
I am showing this cupcake lace decorating tutorial on round-cut pieces of fondant, assuming these are the top of fondant covered cupcakes.
When you are doing it on actual cupcakes, you have a choice of either covering the cupcakes with the round fondant cut-outs first and then pipe the lace patterns or pipe the lace patterns on the cut-outs first and then place them on your cupcakes.
I prefer to do the piping before attaching the fondant on cupcakes as it’s easier to measure and mark the cutouts when they are on a flat working surface rather than the cupcake itself. When I have to do many cupcakes, I do the piping in batches.
Cupcakes Lace Decorating Tutorial – Step by Step
These are the main supplies needed to create the cupcakes lace:
- Royal icing
- Wilton round tip #1
We start with this pattern:
- Start with the center of the fondant cut out. Using a toothpick or skewer, mark the dots for the royal icing dots line. Pipe the dots with royal icing. Starting in the center will ensure your lace pattern is balanced on the cupcake.
- Next, pipe ‘fleur-de-lis’ patterns on both sides f the dots. As a guide, I piped one pattern on every 4th icing dot.
- This is how you pipe the cupcake lace pattern:
- Then, in between each ‘fleur-de-lis’ pattern, pipe a medium royal icing dot. Once that is done, you can then pipe 2 lines of scallop designs on each side of the lace. Use the fleur-de-lis pattern and the icing dots in between them to guide you in deciding on the width of each scallop.
- Since the lace is thin, I piped additional ‘fleur-de-lis’ patterns on the background.
- This cupcake lace decorating idea is similar to the design above, but instead of one row of ‘fleur-de-lis’ on each side of the lace, I piped 2 rows.
- Similar to the above laceworks, we start in the centre with a row of royal icing dots.
- Next is slightly elongated royal icing lines alternated with tiny royal icing dots.
- Follow this with the scallops, 2 long lines and then a final row of scallops and the lace is done.
And that’s pretty much my cupcake lace decorating idea!
Happy Lace Piping 🙂