When I was asked to make a set of spring cupcakes, the first thing that came to mind was greenery and white fresh pretty blossoms. And that was the inspiration for these pretty spring cupcakes I made a for friend.
Spring cupcakes with pretty sugar daisies
These were not hard to make at all and did not take much time to make either.
How to Make Daisies Spring Cupcakes:
Main supplies for the spring cupcakes:
- Cupcakes - I made the spring cupcakes using my butter pound cake recipe. And baked them in silver cupcake foils.
- Royal icing - I made the royal icing with meringue powder instead of egg whites. See the recipe here. And I tinted it green and yellow to match the spring theme of the cupcakes. I used the green icing to cover the cupcakes and the yellow for the flower centers.
- Fondant - I used my homemade fondant here. And it was to make the daisies. Since the daisies were white, my fondant was not colored. I also did not add any CMC or gum tex to the fondant. This is because my homemade fondant holds shapes very well without this additional help.
- Daisy cutter - I cut my fondant daisies with this cutter. These cutters come in many different sizes. Choose one that fits the size of your cupcakes.
Assembling the cupcakes:
Making the spring inspired daisies
- I made the fondant daisies ahead of time. In fact, the good thing about this spring cupcake design or any other designs that use fondant figurines or florals is that these decorations can be made in advance. This really saves time on the day the cupcakes are to be assembled. All that is left to do is to cover the cupcakes with icing or frosting of choice and stick the fondant decorations on top of each cupcake with a little royal icing or buttercream.
- Making the flowers is easy. Simply roll your white fondant thin to about ⅛ inch thick. Using a daisy cutter, cut the petals out of the fondant. Lift and place them in flower formers to set and firm up. These formers are shaped like bowls and help the flowers set in a more natural, curved shapes.
- At this stage, there is no need to make the yellow centers yet. You only add them later, after attaching the daisies to the cupcakes.
Assembling the spring cupcakes
- Next were the cupcakes. For this particular project, I also baked the cupcakes in advance, and it was one day in advance to be precise. This helped is making sure the cupcakes have cooled down completely and are ready for icing the next day.
- On the day I assembled the spring cupcakes, I covered the top of each cupcake with green royal icing. And I left the icing in a rough texture on the cupcakes on purpose.
- By the time I completed covering all the cupcakes with the green icing, the icing has already started to set. And since royal icing sets to a crust, I had to dab a little royal icing underneath each flower to attach them to the cupcakes. I attached one flower on each cupcake.
- And I finished off the spring cupcakes deco by piping a round yellow dot for the flower centers using some yellow-tinted royal icing.
- With that, the daisy themed spring cupcakes are ready.
And that's pretty much how I decorated my daisy spring cupcakes.
Happy Decorating 🙂
Daisy Spring Cupcakes