Here is a Tenkai Knights Cake I made for little Lee Guang Qian for his 6th birthday celebration at school. His mother ordered this cake for him. And requested for a specific Tenkai Knights image to be put on the cake.
A Tenkai Knights cake for a 6 year old birthday
This was a pretty easy cake to decorate. I remember this cake so well. It was the first cake I decorated after I had my bakery studio renovated.
I’ll probably write about my bakery studio in another post. But for now, let me get back to the Tenkai Knights cake here.
How to Decorate a Tenkai Knights Cake:
Main supplies for the cake:
- Cake – This was a square chocolate cake measuring 7 inches by 7 inches. The height of the cake was approximately 4 inches.
- Buttercream – I filled and crumb coated the cake with chocolate buttercream.
- Fondant – I used Satin Ice in black and red . I also used yellow for the stars. white for the cake border and the alphabet. I later painted the alphabet silver.
- Gum paste – this was for the birthday boy’s name.
- Silver airbrush color – I used Americolor silver sheen to paint the “Happy Birthday” letters.
- Tenkai Knights edible image – The image was provided by my customer. I ordered a print of it in edible sugar sheet.
- FMM alphabet cutters - These were for the birthday boy’s name. I used larger cutters for the 3D alphabets on the cake board. I bought these from a local cake decorating supply shop.
- Plaque cutter – I used this to cut out the black piece of fondant for the birthday boy’s name.
- Extruder tool – I used this to pipe the red borders for the edible image, the name plaque, and the cake base. And I also used this tool to pipe the black border for the cake.
- Round and star plunger cutters – The round ones were for the yellow circles on the cake. The star cutters were for the tiny stars on the side of the cake.
- Styrofoam – this was a flat piece. I cut it to create a raised platform for the cake. On the cake, I covered it in red fondant. I purchased this from a local craft shop.
- CMC – I added this to my white fondant which I used to cut out the ‘Happy Birthday’ letters.
- Shortening and fondant glue – These were the glues to stick the fondant deco on the cake. I also used these to attach the 3Dletters on the cake board and platform.
Assembling the Tenkai Knights cake:
- Once the cake was baked and cooled, I leveled, filled and crumb coated it. And then I covered it in black.
The edible images
- Next, I attached the edible images. One went on top of the cake and the other on one side of the cake. I simply brushed some warm water onto the back of the images and attached them to the cake.
The front of a Tenkai Knights cake with the logo framed in red
The styrofoam platform
- And then I prepared the platform. I cut my Styrofoam to fit the size of my cake plus an allowance of about 1.5 inches on the front. I covered it in red. And then I placed it on my cake board and placed my covered cake on it. The purpose was to place the Happy Birthday wording. I couldn’t fit all the letters on a straight line on the cake board. So I had to make the platform so that I could split them into two.
- Next, I covered the cake board in black and after that, I attached the borders; red for the cake and black for the platform.
The name plaque
- And then I did the name plaque and attached it to the cake. For this, I cut out the letters of the name. I then attached them to the plaque before attaching the plaque to the cake. And then I piped a thin red border around it (with my extruder tool) and attached it with shortening.
The 3D alphabets
- For the Happy Birthday wordings, I cut them out in white. I kneaded some CMC into it first. After cutting, I painted them by hand using silver sheen airbrush color. And I attached the letters onto the raised platform and cake board using fondant glue.
- And finally, I used yellow and red fondant for the yellow circles and stars. The yellow circles went on the sides of the platform. As for the stars, they went on the 2 sides of the cake.
And that's pretty much my Tenkai Knights cake.
Happy Decorating 🙂
A Tenkai Knights cake in black, red and yellow
Leave a Reply