These chocolate peanut butter sandwich cookies are made up of decadent chocolate flavored cookies sandwiched with creamy peanut butter center. They are delicious and easy to make!
I truly love these chocolate peanut butter sandwich cookies. They are decadently rich and have lovely delicious creamy peanut butter centers. These crispy cookies will surely please all peanut butter and chocolate cookie lovers alike!
Making these chocolate peanut butter cookies is pretty straightforward. The dough has peanut butter in it and is also intensely flavored with chocolate. It is rolled and baked into crisp cookies and sandwiched with peanut butter centers.
The chocolate cookies in these chocolate sandwich cookies are made using the same recipe I used for my peanut butter stuffed cookies here. It makes light and crumbly, fudgy chocolate cookies. If you like yours with little chunks of peanuts in them, use chunky peanut butter when making, otherwise, creamy peanut butter will be fine too. I used chunky peanut butter to make the creamy peanut butter filling for my cookies.
The creamy peanut butter filling is made of peanut butter and powdered sugar. The sugar not only sweetens the peanut butter but also turns it into a thick consistency that holds the chocolate cookie layers together.
All in all, these homemade chocolate peanut butter sandwich cookies make great treats. They are not only good for snacking, but they also make excellent festive treats and even perfect for gifting and special occasions too.
Table of contents
- How to Make
- Can you use chunky (crunchy) peanut butter for the dough and the centers?
- What happens if you do not sift the cocoa powder and powdered sugar?
- Can you customize the cookie centers to a chocolate peanut butter flavor?
- Can you adjust the cookie to different sizes?
- How to avoid the cookies from breaking when assembling?
- Can you increase or decrease the amount of peanut butter filing for the cookies?
- How to store the sandwich cookies?
- Like these chocolate sandwich cookies? Here are my other cookie recipes you might want to check out
- Recipe (Printable)
How to Make
- All purpose flour (plain flour) + cocoa powder + baking powder + baking soda + salt
- Granulated white sugar (castor sugar)
- Soft dark brown sugar
- Peanut butter
- Vanilla extract
- Peanut butter
- Powdered sugar (Icing sugar)
Mixing the dough
- Add butter, peanut butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar into a large bowl. Beat all the ingredients on medium speed with an electric mixer (hand mixer or stand mixer) until they turn creamy. Scrape the side of the bowl with a rubber spatula and beat again until the ingredients are well creamed.
- Next, add the egg and vanilla extract. Beat until all traces of the egg are no longer visible.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into the bowl. Mix until the dough comes together into a soft ball.
- Divide the dough into a few smaller sections for easy rolling. Roll each section in between 2 sheets of parchment paper. I place 2 dowel rods on either side of my cookie dough and literally roll my rolling pin on them. That way, my cookie dough is rolled to a consistent thickness.
- Use a round cutter (mine measured 4.5cm in diameter) to cut the dough.
- Place the cut dough onto a parchment paper (or baking sheet / cookie sheet) lined baking tray and bake cookies in a pre-heated oven for 9 minutes at 175 degrees Celsius.
Making the filling
- Start by measuring and sifting the powdered sugar into a medium bowl.
- Add peanut butter.
- Combine peanut butter and sugar until both are well combined and come together into a soft ball.
- Scoop the filling into ½ tablespoon sizes and shape them into round balls.
Assembling the peanut butter cookies
- Once the cookies are baked, remove them from the oven and let them rest in the tray for a minute or 2 before transferring them onto wire rack (cooling rack) to cool completely to room temperature. To assemble, place one filling ball in the center of a cookie. Place it on the flat side of the cookie.
- Flatten the filling slightly.
- Place another layer of cookie on top of the peanut butter filling. Place the cookie with its flat side facing the filling. Press them together gently to flatten the centers.
- Repeat the process of sandwiching all the chocolate cookies.
Can you use chunky (crunchy) peanut butter for the dough and the centers?
- Yes, you certainly can. In fact, that is what I used to make these treats. I love the tiny chunks of peanuts in my cookies and the centers, hence I chose chunky peanut butter.
- Having said that, you can also use the smooth version too, it would work perfectly fine.
What happens if you do not sift the cocoa powder and powdered sugar?
- Cocoa powder is one of the ingredients I have used in the cookie dough. Powdered sugar, on the other hand, is used for the filling.
- One common thing about cocoa powder and powdered sugar is that they tend to be lumpy (not just large lumps, but small tiny ones too). These tiny lumps are sometimes hard to break, especially in thick cookie dough or even a thick filling like the peanut butter centers for these chocolate sandwich cookies.
- To avoid these lumps, it is best that these dry ingredients are sifted first before being added to the cookies and the filling.
Can you customize the cookie centers to a chocolate peanut butter flavor?
- Yes, you can. If you prefer the cookie centers to be chocolate flavored too, simply sift in 15g (about 1 tablespoon) of cocoa powder to the filling and mix it well.
Can you adjust the cookie to different sizes?
- My chocolate cookie sandwiches are 4.5cm in diameter and each of the cookie layers are about 0.5cm thick.
- If you wish to increase the size of these, you would need to increase the baking time slightly. If you wish to make small cookies, decrease the time accordingly. The baking temperature should remain the same.
- Also, to ensure the thickness of my chocolate peanut butter sandwich cookies is consistent, I place 2 dowel rods on either side of my cookie dough when rolling it. That way my dough is of the same thickness for all. You can also use rolling pin guide rings to help with the consistency in thickness.
- For the given time and cookie size, you will get chocolate peanut butter cookies that are light and crispy.
How to avoid the cookies from breaking when assembling?
- These peanut butter sandwich cookies are thin and crisp. When sandwiching them, there is a tendency for these to crack if you apply too much pressure when pressing them together.
- The best way to assemble these would be to flatten the filling slightly before placing it on the cookies. The other way is to apply the pressure in pressing them in the center rather than the sides. That should help ensure they do not crack easily too.
Can you increase or decrease the amount of peanut butter filing for the cookies?
- For the given cookie sizes of 4.5cm in diameter, I used ½ tablespoon filling for each cookie. You can reduce the filling further if you wish, but it might be too little given the thickness of the sandwich cookies which is about 1cm.
- You can, however, increase the filling if you like, that would be entirely up to you. Just remember to make more filling.
How to store the sandwich cookies?
- These are crispy cookies. They can last for a good 2 weeks and are best stored in an airtight container to ensure they remain crispy.
Like these chocolate sandwich cookies? Here are my other cookie recipes you might want to check out
- Strawberry Jam Cookies (Sandwich Cookies)
- Simple Peanut Butter Cookies with Sprinkles
- Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Cookies
- Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Lemon Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Coffee Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Butterscotch Cookies - Perfectly Soft and Crumbly
Here's the full printable version of my chocolate peanut butter sandwich cookies.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies
- 190 g all purpose flour
- 45 g cocoa powder sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 90 g granulated sugar
- 100 g soft brown sugar
- 120 g butter
- 60 g peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 180 g peanut butter
- 100 g powdered sugar sifted
- Pre heat oven to 175°Celsius. Prepare baking trays lined with parchment paper.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt together and keep them aside.
- In a clean bowl, cream butter, peanut butter, and both the white and brown sugars until creamy.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat until well incorporated, followed by the sifted dry ingredients. Mix until all the ingredients are well incorporated, and the dough comes together, soft.
- Roll the dough and cut out round cookies, approximately 4.5cm in diameter.
- Bake the cookies for 9 minutes.
- Remove cookies from oven, let them rest in the tray for a few minutes before transfering onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the filling, sift the powdered sugar into a bowl.
- Add the peanut butter and mix until the filling comes together.
- Using a ½ tablespoon measuring spoon, scoop the filling out onto a plate. Shape each scoop into round balls.
- To assemble the cookies, place one filling ball in the center of one cookie. Flatten lightly with your fingers. Place another cookie on top and press the filling down very gently until it is flat and reaches the edges of the cookies.
- Repeat the process until all the cookies are done.
- Place the sandwiched homemade peanut butter sandwich cookies in an airtight container. The cookies can last up to 2 weeks if stored properly.
And that's that. My easy and decadent chocolate peanut butter sandwich cookies.