This almond and strawberry cake is a made from scratch, homemade white almond cake with strawberry filling and toasted almond flakes topping.
This strawberry and almond cake is baked to perfection with a light nutty hint. And to complement that, the top of the cake is sprinkled generously with roasted almond flakes.
The result – an easy, simple, moist white almond cake with toasted almond topping. These, combined with the sweet and tart homemade strawberry filling swirls on the cake complete the moist cake into a lovely, delectable treat, perfect as a tea cake and coffee cake!
Putting this strawberry almond meal cake together was easy. Make the strawberry filling ahead of time and you can bake this cake up anytime you feel like eating it. Nothing beats a warm slice of a moist almond strawberry cake with its sweet strawberry and crunchy nut topping and hot cup of tea on a lazy afternoon!
Table of contents
- How to Make
- Like this easy cake recipe? Here are my other posts you might want to check out
- Recipe (Printable)
How to Make
- All purpose flour + baking powder + salt
- Ground almond almond meal
- Castor sugar
- Vanilla essence
- Almond flakes
- Strawberry compote
Making the strawberry compote
- Start by preparing the strawberry compote or filling and the almond flakes. Follow my recipe here for the strawberry compote.
Mixing the cake batter
- For the almond flakes, place them on a parchment-lined baking tray and toast them in the oven at 170 degrees Celsius for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and let them cool down.
- In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy at medium speed. This should take around 2 minutes. In between, scrape the bowl at least once.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Remember to scrape the sides of the bowl before giving the creamed mixture a final round of whisking.
- In a separate bowl, mix the plain flour, baking powder, and almond flour with a whisk. Fold the flour into the creamed mixture. You can do it all at once.
- Mix to well incorporate the flour. And then mix in the vanilla essence.
- Pour the almond flour cake batter into a well-greased and floured, 8 inches round cake tin.
The cake topping
- Drop small bits of the strawberry filling (about half a teaspoon) all over the almond cake top.
- Use a toothpick or a skewer to swirl the strawberry filling into the cake batter in a circular motion.
- Finally, sprinkle the toasted almond flakes all over the top of the cake. The amount mentioned in the recipe is sufficient to cover the top of this strawberry almond cake generously.
- Bake the cake in a preheated oven at 170 degrees Celsius for about 35 to 40 minutes. Test if the cake is done with a skewer. If the skewer comes out clean or with just a few soft crumbs, the cake is ready. You can remove it from the oven.
- Let the strawberry almond tea cake cool in the tin for a few minutes, loosen the edges with a palette knife and turn out on a wire rack to cool it down completely.
- Serve the cake on the same day it's baked.
- Leftovers can last at room temperature for a good 3 to 4 days. Refrigerate the cake if you wish to keep it longer by keeping it in a covered container to ensure it remains moist.
Almond flour or ground almonds (almond meal)
- True to its name, this strawberry almond meal cake is made using almond flour along with normal all-purpose flour. Almond flour is basically ground almonds. If you don’t have almond flour (also known as almond meal), you can always make your own by grounding almonds (without the brown skin) to a fine powder. You need not sieve the ground almonds, and if you find any tiny bits of almonds in it, it is perfectly fine for this almond flour strawberry cake.
- Roast the almond flakes separately before putting them onto the cake batter. This will ensure the flakes on your cake are perfectly crunchy after baking.
- When roasting the almond flakes, suffice if you roast them lightly. They get roasted again in the oven along with the cake, so toasting them too much will leave you with overly browned nuts on this strawberry almond meal cake.
Strawberry compote (strawberry filling)
- Make the strawberry compote (filling) ahead of time. This compote lasts well in the refrigerator, so making it earlier helps save time when baking this almond cake with strawberry filling.
- Adjust the amount of the filling to your liking. If you wish to have more filling in the cake, you can always increase the quantity in the cake.
- I use salted butter in all my baking including this cake. Unsalted butter is also fine but remember to increase the salt in the recipe to ¼ teaspoon.
Proportion of sugar to flour and butter
- The proportion of sugar to flour and butter is a lot lesser than normal cakes. The cake is not too sweet, as a result. This, however, complements very well with the sweet strawberry filling that is swirled on top of the cake.
Cutting the cake
- Use a serrated knife to cut the cake. That way, it is easier to cut through the almond flakes on the cake without displacing them.
Storing the cake
- This strawberry and almond flour cake is best served on the day it is baked. That way, you get the almond flakes all nice and crunchy as you eat the cake. Keeping it for the next day is perfectly fine too, but the almond flakes lose their crunch, but still good nevertheless.
- This cake lasts for a good 3 to 4 days at room temperature. If you wish to keep it longer, refrigerate it. Bring it to room temperature before consuming.
Like this easy cake recipe? Here are my other posts you might want to check out
- Almond Oatmeal Cookies - Soft and Chewy Cookies
- Strawberry Filling - An Easy Homemade Recipe
- Almond Chocolate Marshmallow Cupcakes
- Fudgy Almond Brownies
- Oreo Strawberry Cheesecake - Creamy Cheesecake with Fresh Strawberries
- 75th Birthday Cake Idea for Dad
- How to Make a Tiered Cake
- True and Tried Cake Recipes
Here is the full printable version of my almond and strawberry cake recipe:
Moist Almond and Strawberry Cake - A Homemade Tea Time Treat
- 125 g plain flour
- 75 g ground almond almond meal
- 150 g castor sugar
- 180 g butter
- 3 eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 50 g almond flakes
- 50 g strawberry compote strawberry filling
- Pre-heat oven to 170°Celsius.
- Measure the almond flakes and toast them in the oven for 5 minutes. Remove and set a side.
- In a medium bowl, cream the butter, sugar and salt until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, measure the flour, almond flour and baking powder and mix with a whisk to combine the ingredients.
- Fold the flour into the creamed mixture.
- Add in vanilla essence.
- Pour the batter into a prepared 8 inches round cake tin.
- Drop half teaspoons of strawberry filling all over the cake top. Use a skewer or toothpick to swirl the filling with the cake batter.
- Sprinkle the toasted almond flakes all over the top of the cake.
- Bake the cake at 170°Celsius for about 35 to 40 minutes. Test with a skewer before removing the cake from the oven.
- Let the cake cool in the tin for a few minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely before serving.
And that’s that. Hope you like this strawberry and almond cake recipe.
Happy baking and decorating 🙂