Basketweave cake decorating pattern is typically created by piping buttercream or royal icing into basket weave patterns. This chocolate basket weave cake decorating technique that can be used to produce basket weave patterns on cakes.
And the best part about this technique is that it can be done with just a fork, there is no need for any fancy tools or even piping bags and icing tips!
In the image above, I have used chocolate ganache to create the chocolate basket weave cake pattern, but other icings like buttercream and royal icing can also be used and will produce similar results as chocolate ganache.
How to Create Easy Basket Weave Cake Decorating Pattern on Cakes
These are the main supplies that are needed for this basket weave pattern:
- Chocolate ganache – As I mentioned earlier, I used chocolate ganache in this tutorial, but really, any icing in soft consistency such as buttercream would work perfectly well for this technique.
- Your favorite cake, all baked and cooled
- Palette Knife
- A fork
And here are the step by step instructions for the chocolate basket weave cake pattern:
Covering cake with chocolate ganache
- Prepare your cake. Level it and brush off any loose cake crumbs.
- Take a generous amount of chocolate ganache and spread it onto your cake with a palette knife. Cover the whole cake with chocolate ganache evenly. As you can see in the picture, the icing is not ‘perfectly’ smooth. For this design, it would suffice if the cake is evenly coated with ganache, there is no need to get it perfectly smooth.
Marking lines on the chocolate
- Next, using a fork, mark long vertical lines of design as shown. Make sure the space in between each set of fork lines are of the same width as the fork. I freehanded it here, but if you cannot get the lines straight, you can use a clean ruler as a guide.
- Once done with the vertical lines, its time to mark the horizontal ones. In this step, you will have to mark the lines in between the vertical ones.
- Following that, make another set of short horizontal lines, this time one row above the earlier horizontal lines but right on the vertical lines made in step one above.
- Fill up the gaps between the newly marked horizontal lines with short vertical lines, as shown.
- Moving on to the next row, repeat marking horizontal lines in between the existing vertical lines.
- Again, make another set of short horizontal lines, this time one row above the earlier horizontal lines but right on the vertical lines made in step one above.
- Fill up the gap between the newly marked horizontal lines with short vertical lines, as shown.
- Repeat the above steps. Cover the entire cake with basket weave pattern. Do the same for the sides of the cake as well.
The complete cake
- This is how a completed chocolate basket weave cake design will look like.
- If you like, you can even make broader chocolate basket weave cake designs, like in the image here. All you need to do is to make two sets of fork lines instead of one set as shown in the instructions above.
Hope you find this chocolate basket weave cake tutorial useful. If you have any questions or need further clarification, please leave your message in the section below, I will revert as soon as I can.
Happy Decorating 🙂