Here is an easy funfetti cupcakes decorating idea using just sprinkles and buttercream.
These are funfetti cupcakes, with the funfetti sprinkles not only on the outside but also in the inside. See what I mean:
I have added colorful funfetti sprinkles to the cupcake batter and once baked, the cupcakes turned out with such a lovely mix of rainbow colors!
You can use any of your favorite cupcake recipes for this project, so long as the batter is not too runny. If the batter is runny, the funfetti will settle to the bottom of the cupcakes when baking and there will not be the well-distributed specks of color in the cupcakes. And of course, for the funfetti to be visible after baking, its best to use light-colored batter. I don’t think chocolate batter will work, if you know what I mean. And most importantly, after adding the funfetti to the cake batter, do not over mix; over mixing will break and dilute the sprinkles and there will not be any distinct specks of colors in the cupcakes after baking.
Funfetti Cupcakes – Decorating Steps
This is an easy funfetti cupcake decorating project, there is no need for any special decorating skills. And it is super fast to do too! Here is how I did it, step by step:
- My cupcakes turned out slightly domed after baking. For this project, I wanted flat tops so I trimmed off the excess on top of each cupcake.
- Next, using vanilla buttercream, I covered the top of each cupcake with a layer of buttercream, not too thick and not to thin. I made sure it was enough to cover the cupcakes so that you don’t get to see any of the cake underneath.
- Next, as a guide, I used a large piping tip and placed it in the center of the cupcake. It really does not matter what shape the tip is. We only want to use the larger circle end of it. So for larger cupcakes, a slightly larger round cookie cutter might be a better option. This is because piping tips might be too small in proportion to the size of the larger cupcakes.
- I then sprinkled a generous amount of funfetti around the sides of the cupcakes and press them lightly with the tip of my finger to attach them to the buttercream.
- Tip: place your cupcake on a plate or tray when adding the funfetti so that you can reuse the excess that has fallen down.
- And then I lifted the piping tip of the cupcake, gently. See how the funfetti formed a pretty border on the top of the cupcake:
- The final step was to pipe buttercream frilly swirl in the center. For this purpose, I used Wilton tip 2D. I fit it into a piping bag and piped a frilly swirl in the middle of the cupcake.
- And that’s it. My inside out funfetti cupcakes!.
Hope you enjoying this mini funfetti cupcakes tutorial. Please leave your thoughts and comments below, and I will get back to you as soon as I can.