I made these baby full moon cupcakes for a full moon party celebration. It is customary among the Chinese community to celebrate full moon after a full month of confinement for the mother and 30 days of life of the new child. It is a way of presenting the newborn to family and friends and to celebrate the arrival of a new child in the family.
Traditionally, as I was told by my Chinese friends, there were no cakes or cupcakes involved in the celebration, but just red eggs and ginger. With the passing of time, cakes and cupcakes were brought in. And so I was asked by a customer to make a set of baby themed cupcakes to be presented to guests who come for the party.
Baby Full Moon Cupcakes Decorating Idea
She did not specify any design or color for the cupcakes. However, since the celebration was for a baby girl, I chose pink and purple as the main colors. I accented them with green and brown background. As for the design, I decided on 4 different ones along a similar color theme – a stroller, baby bottle, infant bodysuit and rocking horse.
My customer, did however, request for 2 special cupcakes with her daughter’s name and date of birth on them and so I have these 2 made for her:
All in all, this was an easy decorating project. I had the special cutters for the stroller, baby bottle, onesie and rocking horse, so that made it easy for me. All I did was add some deco on these to customize them and the cupcakes were ready.
Baby Full Moon Cupcakes Decorating Idea
Main supplies for the cupcakes:
- Cupcakes – The cupcakes were a combination of vanilla and chocolate ones. I used my butter pound cake recipe for the vanilla cupcakes and chocolate cake recipe for the chocolate cupcakes.
- Buttercream – I covered all the full moon cupcakes with a thin layer of buttercream before putting on the fondant covers.
- Fondant – I used homemade fondant for this project. Get the recipe here.
- Wilton food color in pink , red , moss green and Americolor White .
- Fine tipped cake decorating brush
- Baby themed cookie cutters
- Heart plunger cutter
- Triangle plunger cutter
- Alphabet and number imprint mold from Purple Cupcakes (https://www.purplecupcakes.co.uk/)
- Plain round cutter set
- Round scalloped cutter set
- Fondant glue
Assembling the cupcakes:
- Once the cupcakes were all baked and have cooled down, I leveled the tops and applied a layer of buttercream on each cupcake. And then I set them aside to prepare the fondant covering.
- To start with, I covered all the full moon cupcakes with green and brown fondant. Half of the cupcakes were in green. I cut them into circles using a plain round cutter. The remaining half were in brown. I attached these to the top of the buttercream covered cupcakes.
- Next, using the same fondant colors, but this time with a smaller scalloped round cutter, I made the scalloped circles. I attached these to the plain rounds in contrasting colors. The green ones went on top of the brown and vice versa. I used glue to attach these together. Once all were done, I divided each set into 4. This is for the 4 different designs on the baby full moon cupcakes. That means that for each of them, half had green background topped with brown circles and the other half had brown background topped with green circles.
Infant Bodysuit or Onesie Cupcake Topper
- The first of the 4 sets of the full moon cupcakes were with baby bodysuits. I used a bodysuit cookie cutter I had to make equal numbers of pink and purple suits. I attached each one of the bodysuit to one cupcake.
- And then, using my fine-tipped cake decorating brush dipped in white food coloring (undiluted), I drew the hemlines at the neck, sleeves, and legs. And then, using the same brush and white food color, I marked polka dots all over. To complete the bodysuits, I cut out a medium-sized red heart and attached it to the center.
Baby onesies design on the full moon cupcakes
Baby Stroller Cupcake Topper
- This is the second of the 4 baby full moon cupcakes design. Similar to the bodysuits, the fondant strollers were made using a cookie cutter in pink and purple. Unlike the bodysuit cutter, this one had lines, scallops and stars patterns that were beautifully imprinted onto the stroller cutouts.
- All I had to do was paint the frills in white (with my cake decorating brush dipped in undiluted white food color) and attach a little red heart in the center. To finish off the strollers, I marked tiny polka dots on the border of the cupcake covering.
Baby stroller design on the full moon cupcakes
Rocking Horse Cupcake Toppers
- This is the 3rd of the 4 baby full moon cupcakes design of this project. And similar to the fondant baby stroller above, the cutter had lines and dots imprinted onto the cutouts. So all I did was paint the saddle and the rocker white and add tiny polka dots in the background.
- To finish off the decoration, using the same red fondant I used for the tiny hearts for design 1 and 2 above, I cut out tiny 5-petal flowers and attached them to the rocking horses’ head.
Rocking horse design on the baby full moon cupcakes
Baby Bottle Cupcake Toppers
- This was the last of the 4 full moon cupcake designs and was also cut with a cookie cutter that came with lines that were imprinted on the fondant cutouts to enhance the design. Again, all I did was paint the teats white and added polka dots to the top part of the bottle.
- And then I added the same polka dots to the edges of the fondant covers on the cupcakes. To finish off the decoration, I added a tiny red 5-petal flower to each of the bottles.
Baby bottle design on the baby full moon cupcakes
Special full moon cupcakes design
- Next were the 2 special cupcakes requested by my customer with the baby’s name and date. of birth.
- I used pink and brown predominantly on the cupcakes and green and red as accents. To start with, I made 2 brown circles using my plain round cutter. I attached these to the cupcakes. I then topped these with slightly smaller pink scalloped circles.
- Before attaching the pink circles onto the brown ones, I imprinted the name and date of birth on them using a set of alphabet and number imprinting tool I purchased from Purple Cupcakes store. The fonts were small enough to fit perfectly onto my fondant circles. I then placed the pink circle cutouts onto the cupcakes.
- For decoration, I made 4 ribbon roses using red fondant and attached 2 to each cupcake. And then I added green leaves to the roses. I also added tiny red hearts before completing the cupcakes with a circle of tiny white polka dots all around the background.
With that, the baby full moon cupcakes were completed. I packed the cupcakes into boxes based on design and had special transparent boxes for the 2 special cupcakes.
And that’s that. Hope you enjoyed this.
Happy decorating 🙂