This tutorial is on how to make fondant unicorn eyes. I am writing this page to share with you, the steps I took to make this gorgeous and dreamy pair of unicorn eyes for my recent unicorn birthday cake.
The cake itself was a 2 tier cake, and I had the unicorn’s mane going though the top of the cake and coming down to the second tier in a curve that ends on the side of the cake. And since the front of the cake was rather empty, I decided to make a pair of large, round, twinkling eyes for the unicorn.
How to Make Fondant Unicorn Eyes
These were the main supplies I used to make the eyes:
- Eyes template – I drew mine freehand guided by images I searched on the internet.
- Fondant – I used Satin Ice fondant in white and black. For the purple part of the eyes, I used Americolor Electric Purple food color.
- Extruder tool – I used the extruder tool for the black outlines of the eyes and the eye lashes.
- Oval cutters – I used the oval cutters for the white twinkle dots in the eyes.
And this was how I made the fondant unicorn eyes:
- First of all, I got the unicorn eyes template ready. As I mentioned above, I drew mine freehand. This was the template. If you notice, the eye has both top and bottom lashes, but my final fondant eyes only has the top lashes. I decided not to proceed with the lower lashes as I felt that the top lashes were sufficient to make the unicorn eyes cute and dreamy.
- I then traced each component of the eye onto parchment paper and cut them out.
- Once I had the templates ready, I started cutting them out in fondant. I started with the white fondant. I rolled it thin and cut out two pieces of white ovals.
- And then, I cut out the purple ovals.
- And finally, the black ovals:
- Once I had the oval shapes in white, purple and black ready, I went on assembling them. Before attaching them with shortening, I arranged them first so that I get the order and position correct.
- Once I was happy with the position and shape, I attached them together with shortening.
Attaching the fondant unicorn eyes to the cake
- The next step was to place the eyes on the cake. The challenge here was to make sure both the eyes were aligned horizontally. To ensure this, I attached the eyes based on rough estimation first and then adjusted the position by measuring the gap between the top of the cake and each eye.
- And since the eyes were attached using shortening, adjusting their position on the cake was not a problem.
- This was how the eyes looked like after measuring and alignment.
- The next step was to complete the outline for the eyes. I used an extruder tool with a small round disc to produce thin black strips of fondant.
- To attach the black strip, I applied shortening all around the unicorn eyes and carefully attached the black strip all around each eye.
- I used a spatula to ensure the fondant strip is closely attached to the unicorn eyes.
- Once the outline was done, I went on to complete the eye lashes. I used the eyes template earlier as a guide and marked tiny dots on the cake where each lash would begin and end.
- Before attaching the lashes, I added another layer of the black fondant strip to the top portion of the eyes.
Adding the eye lashes
- And then, I attached the lashes.
- The final step for making the fondant unicorn eyes to to add the white eyeball and twinkle to each eye. For this purpose, I used oval plunger cutters in two sizes. I cut the shapes out of thinly rolled white fondant.
- The larger ovals went on first, followed by the smaller ones:
- And this was how the completed eyes of the unicorn looked like:
Hope you enjoyed this tutorial as much as I enjoyed putting it together.
And if you would like to read on how I decorated the rest of the unicorn cake, click on the image below for step by step tutorial and pictures:
Happy Decorating 🙂